Has Reliance Standard wrongfully handled your disability insurance claim?
It’s not uncommon for insurance companies to resort to resourceful ways to cut costs – including not paying the claims they should. Insurers often put great effort into denying claims in the hope the claimant will give up and go away. Don’t let that happen to you!
Fortunately, an insurance denial is not the end of your claim. If Reliance Standard has denied or terminated your disability claim, you may appeal their decision.
Let your insurer know that they cannot run over you. Contact Marc Whitehead & Associates for a free case evaluation. There is never any obligation for a claim evaluation with us.
Find out how we can help you appeal the denial. You will be informed of your rights and your options, and you will be prepared to move forward swiftly.
About Reliance Standard
In business for over 100 years, Reliance Standard Life Insurance Company is a member of the Tokio Marine Group, a global insurance and reinsurance group, incorporated in Japan.
In the United States, Reliance Standard specializes in employee benefits products. The company sells group disability income insurance, various health and life insurance coverages, and asset growth and retirement annuities. In New York, the insurance line is marketed through First Reliance Standard Life Insurance Company.
Reliance Standard Disability Insurance: Short and Long Term Disability Benefits
Reliance Standard offers a line of insurance products, including group short term and long term disability insurance.
The company also provides voluntary short and long term disability benefits. With voluntary plans, the employer and employee may both invest in group benefits, or it may be that only the employee pays premiums.
Is Your Reliance Standard Disability Claim Subject to ERISA?
Group and individual claims are governed by different laws.
Employer-sponsored group benefits are subject to strict federal regulations known as the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA). Alternatively, individually purchased plans fall under state law. Also, certain voluntary group plans may be exempt from ERISA rules.
In disability appeals and claim litigation, ERISA laws tend to lean in the insurance company’s favor, not the claimant’s. For this and many other reasons, it is critical to know under which laws your claim will be governed.
We must take a good look at your policy and benefit plan to be certain. Our attorneys will promptly verify the governing law and understand all implications.
Here is a quick rundown on the differences in group vs individual disability claims.
We Help Clients Prevail against Reliance Standard Disability Denials
On what grounds did Reliance Standard deny your claim?
Insurers deny claims for many reasons – both in error and by plan. Our attorneys will examine your case to reveal any wrongful denial on the part of Reliance Standard. We will develop your case to rebut their allegations, point-by-point.
We anticipate every tactic the insurance company may use to delay, deny or terminate your claim, such as:
- Claiming your inability to work are for reasons not covered under your policy;
- Alleging you did not provide adequate medical evidence, or claiming they did not receive medical records;
- Delays due to poor communication;
- Delaying payments while taking months to schedule an Independent Medical Examination;
- Giving a paper-only review without giving you a fair medical exam. Many times, a physician’s records and opinions do not tell the whole story;
- Delaying decisions on the claim until years of past medical records or excessive test results are received;
- Failing to acknowledge the severity of your impairment, paying little attention to your medical evidence and physician’s statements showing how your particular condition affects you;
- Requiring that you submit information that is neither practical nor reasonable to produce;
- Refusing to provide your claim file and records to you;
- Video surveillance and field interviews used to intimidate you into saying the wrong thing or giving up.
Contact Marc Whitehead & Associates
Our firm handles appeals and lawsuits against Reliance Standard and we are prepared to assist you now. We represent disability cases comprising all manner of disabling medical conditions in all 50 states.
If you are preparing to file an initial Reliance Stand disability claim, we provide exceptional long term disability application assistance.