Cigna Disability Complaints – Denials of Valid LTD Claims
Are you a Cigna policyholder struggling to obtain long term disability benefits? Do you feel Cigna has unfairly denied your insurance claim for disability benefits?
You aren’t alone.
At Whitehead & Associates, our disability claims attorneys have spoken with many individuals who are upset with the way Cigna handled their disability claim.
Cigna is notorious for this sort of behavior. In May 2013, the insurer was cited by several state insurance investigators for wrongly denying disability claims after regulators found that Cigna was denying initial claims and ongoing claims that should have been paid. A settlement was reached with Cigna agreeing to set aside $77 million to cover potentially thousands of wrongly denied claim payments.
These state insurance investigations were in response to many of the same complaints we hear from our clients, including:
- Disregarding the medical component of a disability evaluation.
- Ignoring the opinions of independent healthcare professionals.
- Discounting awards of SSDI benefits made by the Social Security Administration.
- Influencing the opinions of in-house physicians or professionals who perform Cigna’s medical evaluation.
We Hear Your Concerns
The ERISA attorneys at Marc Whitehead & Associates have extensive experience in resolving complaints, denials and disputes arising from:
- Careless, disorganized and mismanaged claims review procedures — including losing information and not responding to your calls and messages
- Denial of claims due to “a lack of objective evidence”
- Denial of benefits without a doctor’s physical exam
- Denial after a medical review by Cigna’s in-house staff with little or no explanation of evidence
- Disregarding subjective/self-reported symptoms that cannot be diagnosed by testing
- Use of video surveillance footage instead of medical evidence to deny your claim
- Changing the definition of a disability from “own-occupation” to “any occupation.” Once a claimant falls under the any occupation definition of disability, Cigna is likely to argue that you are able to work an 8 hour a day in a sedentary job.
- Misinterpretations of policy language
Speak with a Disability Benefits Attorney about Your Cigna Disability Complaints
We know only too well how the Cigna disability review process works and the many tricks they employ to try and get out of paying a disability claim. If you feel you have been unjustly denied disability benefits by Cigna or another insurer we urge you to reach out to Marc Whitehead & Associates for assistance.
Call us at 866-365-7898 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation meeting with one of our disability claim denial attorney.