Cigna Disability Complaints – Denials of Valid LTD Claims
Our disability attorneys regularly speak with Cigna policyholders about their struggles to obtain long term disability benefits. Unfairly denied insurance claims by Cigna is an ongoing complaint our clients share with us.
All disability insurers deny claims for various reasons. However, if your work-sponsored group disability policy is with Cigna, be aware that this insurer has recently been cited by state insurance investigators for wrongly denying claims.
In May 2013, a large scale Cigna disability settlement was announced with five states. The settlement claims that Cigna’s long term disability claims-handling procedures did not conform to required standards. The three Cigna companies involved in this regulatory action are:
- Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company
- Life Insurance Company of North America (LINA) and
- Connecticut General Life Insurance Company (CGLIC)
Regulators found that Cigna was denying initial claims and ongoing claims that should have been paid. The regulatory settlement requires Cigna to pay steep fines and take corrective actions in the handling of group disability insurance claims. Cigna has set aside $77 million in reserve for potentially thousands of wrongly denied claim payments.
Will this change the way Cigna does business in the future?
Only time will tell, because claimants face a double-edged sword with group disability claims.
Even when strong regulatory actions demand justice for claimants, the federal ERISA guidelines that regulate group disability claims continue to enhance an insurance company’s ability and inclination to protect their profit base by not paying claims.
I Have a Complaint against Cigna Disability Insurance. What Can I Do?
Seek help with your Cigna disability claim. Work with attorneys who understand how hard things are for you right now, and know how much you have at stake. If you’ve been denied disability benefits by Cigna / LINA, we can help you win the battle and take this complex burden off your shoulders.
Our principal focus as disability attorneys is to submit successful appeals or to bring suit against these companies in federal court on behalf of our clients.
Ask a lawyer about your case today. We are able to help you in any state and we will make the process as easy as possible for you.
What Are the Complaints against Cigna Disability?
Not surprisingly, the concerns exposed in the regulatory action against Cigna are consistent with the complaints against Cigna that our attorneys deal with on a daily basis, including:
- Lack of focus on the medical component of a disability evaluation
- Disregarding the opinions of independent physicians
- Ignoring decisions made by Social Security in the awards of SSDI
- Influencing the opinions of in-house physicians or professionals performing Independent Medical Evaluations and Functional Capacity Evaluations.
At Marc Whitehead & Associates, we can help you with these and other Cigna disability complaints, denials, and disputes arising from:
- Careless, disorganized and mismanaged claims review procedures:
– Non-responsive / phone calls go unreturned
– Lost / didn’t get your information
- Denial of benefits without a doctor’s physical exam; or, denial based on a cursory medical review by Cigna’s in-house staff with little or no explanation of evidence;
- Use of video surveillance to prove you are able to return to work (overriding medical evidence);
- Claim denial when the definition of disability changes from “own-occupation” to the “inability to perform any occupation.” Once a claimant falls under the any occupation definition of disability, Cigna will likely say that you are fit to work an 8 hour a day sedentary job.
- Denial of claims due to “a lack of objective evidence;”
- Disregarding a claimant’s subjective or self-reported complaints and symptoms which cannot be diagnosed by X-rays or blood tests, as in cases involving chronic back pain, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, depression, etc.
- Unreasonable misinterpretations of policy language.
Contact Us with Your Cigna Disability Complaints
At Marc Whitehead & Associates, we are well aware of how Cigna’s claims management process operates. We welcome your call or email, and are ready to answer your questions and advise you of your right to collect disability benefits.
Do not delay. Call 800-562-9830 to request a free consultation with a lawyer about your Cigna claim denial.