Legal Help for Unum Claims Denial
Unum is one of the largest insurance companies in the world, providing group short-term and long-term disability benefits, life insurance, and supplemental health insurance to employees in both the U.S. and UK. They’ve written over 17 million disability policies alone. The company makes billions of dollars in profit each year.
How do they do it? In a lot of cases, they sell these policies, make a lot of money off the premiums, then refuse to pay benefits when the policyholder files a claim. According to the American Association for Justice, Unum ranks as the 2nd worst insurer for consumers (they were shut out of the number one spot by Allstate).
Examples of Denial Tactics
UNUM has a bad reputation for systematically denying, stalling or terminating countless legitimate claims filed by their policy holders.
Some of the tactics and strategies employed in the Unum claim denials game include:
- Using unqualified witnesses or alleged experts to supply biased opinions favorable to UNUM’s position
- Inappropriately investigating claims
- Attempting to discredit by disability through the use of surveillance, investigators and other means.
- Requiring the claimant to submit to repeated independent medical exams
- Making partial payments on a total disability claim and other low balling tactics
- Implying that the disability is a pre-existing condition
- Deliberately misinterpreting medical records
- Deliberately misinterpreting the terms of the policy
- Making unauthorized changes to policies after a claim is filed, without the consent or knowledge of the policyholder
Appealing an UNUM Disability Benefits Denial
Are you a UNUM policyholder whose claim for disability benefits has been denied? You need to file an appeal immediately to protect your rights to collect the benefits you are owed, but you don’t need to do it alone. The long term disability insurance claims attorneys at Marc Whitehead & Associates have extensive experience in appealing the denial of benefits by UNUM and other insurers. Call (800) 562-9830 today to learn more about the legal assistance provided to help you with your Unum claim.
Your Unum disability policy is governed by the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, also known as ERISA. ERISA protects the rights of policyholder by requiring insurers like Unum to:
- Provide participants with important information about their plan’s features and funding.
- Describe the fiduciary responsibilities for those who manage and control plan assets.
- Implement a grievance and appeals process after denying a claim. This includes filing lawsuit in federal court.
Under ERISA, Unum and other insurance companies have to provide customers with a means to appeal a denial of benefits; however, ERISA doesn’t say this process has to be easy. The denial of benefits attorneys at Marc Whitehead & Associates understand the complexities of the appeals process and what it takes to overturn a decision to deny benefits. If litigation becomes necessary, Marc Whitehead & Associates has an impressive track record when it comes to winning lawsuits on behalf of people with denied claims from Unum and other insurance providers.
Don’t let the thought of expensive legal bills discourage you from reaching out to us. In most cases, we work on a contingent fee basis, meaning there are no up-front charges and our fees come from the payments we are able to recover for you.