Our attorneys have considerable experience appealing MassMutual disability income claim denials. We know how to effectively deal with this insurance provider. Contact Marc Whitehead & Associates now at 800-562-9830 to discuss your claim. Do not give in! We can assist you in any stage of the claim filing or appeals process.
Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual) is based in Springfield, MA. The 160 year-old company sells various disability insurance plans. The company also markets annuities, retirement and long term care plans, and other financial products.
MassMutual has a large individual Disability Income (DI) insurance market. Many physicians, dentists, finance executives, business owners and other career individuals are MassMutual policy owners.
Other MassMutual policies are regulated by Federal ERISA law because they are part of an employee group benefits package.
For high earners who have group disability benefits through their employer, yet need additional coverage, MassMutual offers supplemental individual DI insurance. This supplemental insurance may be provided through the employer or professional association.
MassMutual is a “mutual” company, meaning it is owned by policyholders (not shareholders). Mutual companies are not publically traded, as a “stock company” would be. One purpose of being a mutual company is to guarantee its policyholders and members have a voice within the company, and confidence of long term access to their insurance benefits.
But like so many other insurance providers, MassMutual sometimes fails to pay disability insurance benefits on valid claims. If your MassMutual Disability income claim was denied or terminated unreasonably, our attorneys will help you take swift legal action to get the benefits you deserve.
Legal Issues with MassMutual Disability Income Claims
Like many insurers, MassMutual has engaged in various bad faith insurance actions, in order to be more profitable financially. These actions may include
- questioning your credibility (rather than disputing the facts)
- arbitrarily denying benefits under own-occupation disability policy
- repeatedly losing records and other claim-related documents you have sent to MassMutual
- claims handlers misinterpreting medical findings
- relying on policy language that is confusing and complex, making it difficult for you to meet MassMutual’s definition of “disabled”
- using third party medical exams to override or dismiss your treating physician’s records and opinions
- wrongly classifying your complex physical disorder as a mental / nervous condition – drastically reducing benefit payments to 24 months or less
- various other methods in which the company does not give your claim a fair and objective claim review, to further in their own financial interests.
MassMutual Disability Claim Attorneys
Marc Whitehead & Associates law firm is dedicated to helping insureds overturn unfairly denied short term and long term disability benefits. We offer a free consultation to discuss your claim and how we may be able to assist you.
Whether you are a self-insured professional, or your group insurance coverage is offered through your job – if MassMutual wrongly withheld or terminated your insurance benefits, contact our law firm.