Unum Disability Denial Tactics – What to Watch Out For
If you are faced with a Unum disability denial, the law firm of Marc Whitehead & Associates is here to help you fight for the benefits you deserve. Our experienced Unum disability attorneys aggressively pursue claim denials in State and Federal Courts.
The sole purpose for purchasing long term disability insurance, whether it is provided through an employer’s insurance plan or bought as an individual disability policy, is to protect against financial hardship or impoverishment in the event you become disabled.
When you filed your claim, you had confidence that you would receive this protection. Unfortunately, denial is often the result of an insurance company’s strategies to finesse the law, manipulate the facts of your case, and exploit the claims process.
In the legal arena of disability insurance, Unum’s history of delaying and denying claims is well known.
Unum Disability Denial Tactics Include
- Requiring an Independent Medical Examination. Unum policies often have a provision where the claimant must undergo an independent medical examination (IME) by a doctor who is hired by Unum. Third party IMEs are common in disability claims. However, it is not common when such evaluations show bias by routinely contradicting the claimant’s physician and finding the claimant to not be disabled.
- Exploitation of Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI). Unum has a standard practice of requiring claimants to apply for SSDI. When the claimant’s application for SSDI is approved, Unum either benefits from the SSDI offset (the amount Unum pays is reduced), or Unum may still deny the claim by discrediting Social Security’s approval on the basis of new information that the SSA did not have (such as last-minute IME findings.)
- Disability denial based on video surveillance. Unum will hire private investigators to covertly film disabled claimants as they go about their day. The goal is to catch a claimant “in the act” of performing tasks that may be misrepresented as activities that could justify their ability to work, and therefore justify a claim denial. This material is often withheld from the laimant’s claim file.
- Field visits to support disability denial. Unum will request that the claimant engage in field visits (in their home) with a claim representative, even though this is not required by the policy. The disabled claimant is an unsuspecting person in distress, hoping the field rep is there to help. A field representative is a trained interrogator trying to get further information with which to deny the claim.
- Relentless, repeated requests for medical records. Once Unum receives everything they have asked for in the way of medical records and doctors’ notes, Unum demands more medical records and more doctors’ notes. This can go on for months.
These and other strategies cause you to become so frustrated and tired of fighting that you just can’t take it anymore, and you give up.
Do not yield to Unum’s denials and delays – let us do the heavy lifting required to win Unum denied claims through the proper and powerful use of the law.
Contact a Disability Lawyer that Fights Unum Claim Denials
Do not hesitate to ask a disability lawyer at Marc Whitehead & Associates about your claim, and learn how we can help. It does not matter where you live in the U.S. We will help you pursue the disability benefits you need from Unum in order to live with a disability, as quickly as possible.
Since 1992 we have been helping the disabled overcome the devastating troubles caused by denied claims. The best message for our clients is that we have significant experience with Unum claim denials. Our law practice is dedicated to helping you receive the benefits that are owed to you.